We chose Joomla as our CMS for the following reasons
- Long term support, and regular development cycle of 18 months
- Massive flexibility for use, whatever online solution you want, Joomla can handle it
- Massive user base (approx 20% of all open source CMS websites are Joomla) with incredible community support
- Availability of enterprise level extensions with one click upgrade available on most
- Ease of upgrade and maintainence (since Joomla 1.7)
- Amazing backup solutions that even allow system restore points
- Corporate Security ready - you can link in LDAP security solutions such as Active Directory and eDirectory out the box.
- Full ACL user and group security levels built in
FAQ about Joomla
Q : I used to use Joomla and its was just ridiculous with its constant upgrades, and components stopping working when I did an upgrade.. why would I want to stick with it?
A : From Joomla 1.7, upgrade options were built in so you can simply upgrade the Framework with a single click. This upgrade facility is also available to components, with the developer specifying an upgrade server. Chose your components wisely, and you need never worry about upgrading ever again. Joomla 2.5 will be supported for many years, and can already be upgraded to Joomla 3.0 with a click of a button.
Q : I am reading articles on-line that recommend other CMS's over Joomla saying they are much better, why should I not use them?
A : No reason at all, but all reviews will be invariably from a developer perspective. As an end user you just want a website that works, is secure, is SEO friendly etc. As website developers, we all have our preferences and as we stick with those preferences we simply cant keep up with all the other frameworks. We prefer Joomla due to its massive community. The fact is, Wordpress and Joomla are the absolute world leaders in terms of CMS market share holding 59% and 19% (*) respectively of all CMS's in use (open source). But whatever well supported CMS you choose.. Joomla, Drupal, MODx, Wordpress, they all get the job done!
Using the four examples above, I have broken down a rough Client Type / CMS Choice list
- I have no programming experience, I want to do my own website - Wordpress, Joomla
- I have some programming experience, I want to do my own website - Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal
- I have no programming experience and someone else will do my site initially, but intend to learn so I can support myself - Joomla, Drupal, MODx
- I have lots of programming experience and will take over support of the site once its done - Joomla, MODx, Drupal
- I have LOADS of programming experience and just need a framework to build on - Joomla, MODx, Drupal
- I have LOADS of programming experience and need maximum flexibility - MODx, Drupal
The one thing we can say with absolute confidence, if you chose Joomla for a CMS, you are not making a mistake.
Q : A web-designer who gave me a quote said Joomla is crap, why should I believe them over you?
A : All I would say is "beware a web-designer, developer who says bluntly 'don't use that one, its crap'", they are just trying to secure a job under their terms and are more than likely basing their opinion on an outdated version of the CMS, caused likely to them having stuck with one they prefer for so long. The majority of the CMS options are all excellent at what they do, some do certain things better than others. There are some CMS's that are a bit suspect (website builders that create Flash websites for example), sp if in doubt go to an independent website such as Open Source CMS and read neutral reviews there. You will never ever hear a MOLEDesign employee say "X CMS is crap"
Q : I have used Joomla 1.0, and 1.5 and I REALLY didn't like them, is Joomla 2.5 / 3 really better
A : Want to know a secret? We didn't like them either, Joomla 1.0 was shocking and 1.5 has some major security loopholes.. but hey, they are based on years old technology. When Joomla moved onto 1.6 and 1.7 they embraced a whole new set of technology which has resulted in the Joomla Platform. From Joomla 2.5 you have a robust, secure, usable and incredibly versatile website background with the knowledge that you will have world class support from both developers and the Joomla community as a whole.